.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

 

Can't Hardly Wait

Color me impressed:
NEW YORK (Billboard) - The surviving members of legendary post-punk band the Replacements have reunited to record their first new songs in 16 years

Singer/guitarist Paul Westerberg, bassist Tommy Stinson and drummer Chris Mars convened in the band's Minneapolis hometown to record "Message to the Boys" and "Pool & Dive." The Westerberg-written tunes will appear on the retrospective CD, "Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements," due June 13 via archival label Rhino Records.
The article goes on to tease a Mats' box set for 2007 and expanded editions of the individual albums. The new songs may well be crap, and who doesn't already have every studio album plus the All For Nothing/Nothing for All comp, but I've been waiting for this story since 1991. I'd rather have an all-new album, but baby steps, I guess.

In related news, Kevin Shields now has no excuse whatsoever.

I think we can all safely assume that the new Replacements songs will be "Album Only" at iTunes. If so, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum, the pirate's life for me.

Comments:
This actually makes me a little teary-eyed. That, and "lost cause" - which happens to be on the radio right now.
 
Does "Lost Cause" make you cry because it's so good, or because it's the only decent song on Sea Change?

(Okay, It's all In Your Mind and Golden Age are decent.)
 
Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money
 
This is good news. Also, I liked Sea Change. It was very helpful when I wanted to sleep or felt like drinking myself into a depression.
 
When I want to pass out, Soundgarden always does the trick. When I feel sad (or wish to), I often put on On Fire by Galaxie 500.

I recognize that Sea Change is a "good" album. It is even a good album. But it's the kind of good album I'm just never in the mood for. And I say this as someone with just about everything Beck has commercially released, who thinks Guero is brilliant and One Foot in The Grave is one of the best albums of all time. On Sea Change, I find Beck's marble-mouth delivery more annoying than charming, and the songwriting, normaly such a strong point, seems slight. After the relatively weak Midnite Vultures, I suppose I just wanted something else. Something more sonically adventurous and wide-ranging than a collection of similar-sounding, terminally mopey dirges. I don't actively dislike the record; I just don't care for it.

If not for the happy surprise of Guero, Beck likely would have joined the ranks of artists I have loved but can't get up the enthusiasm to follow any more--Wilco, Robert Pollard, PJ Harvey, Beastie Boys, Steve Malkmus. Maybe if I made some extra cash secret shopping I could afford their latest albums.
 
Of course, and bringing this back around to the original post, another artist I once idolized but whom I don't follow anymore is Paul Westerberg. From reviews of the last few albums, he seems to have found his footing as a solo aritst, at least partially, but I just can't bring myself to pay money for it when there's so much interesting work by artists that I don't already have 6-12 albums by.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?